Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chocolate Chip ADD

This whole week my roommates and I have been craving chocolate chip cookies. We decided to make them on Sunday our normal dessert making day. Today arrived and we all survived the typical starvation during church with the visions of chocolate chip cookies in our head.
We arrived home took naps, ate dinner and then my roommates had to run somewhere leaving me home to my thoughts....not a good idea when I am a baker.
I held off beginning the cookies until they arrived home. However, when they got home there was not a plan for just chocolate chip cookies but four varieties. They looked at me a bit crazy but were on board pretty quickly to my surprise. The dough making began and cookies were baked.
I myself am impressed with the results.
Here's the ones I made and the recipe to follow:
Start with making your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe minus the chocolate chips. We made a triple batch of mine and divide it among the four varieties. It made a ton though!
Chocolate Pecan: Add equal amounts of milk chocolate chips and pecans.

Chocolate Orange: Add orange zest. (I zested four oranges for about three cups of cookie dough. I also used semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Spiced Chocolate Chip: This one got a bit complicated. I added semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate to start and then a load of spices. I used equal parts black pepper, chili powder (although you can add this to your liking of heat. My head was mild but there. I add heaping amounts of this compared to level measurments of the other spices.), nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander (trust me on this one) and then twice as much cardamom. You can find cardamom in most grocery stores. They taste like christmas in a cookie with a kick....as one of my roommate put it.

Chocolate Rosemary:I minced fresh rosemary(aboutt two TBSP)per two cups of cookie dough. I also used semi-sweet. Dark chocolate works better with more savory ingredients.

It was a great day in the kitchen and now we have lots of chocolate chip cookies....anybody want some?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I would love some of your cookies!