Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Idaho Legacy


Potatoes. One of the most bland and diverse foods on the planet and yet one of my favorites. I love potatoes, anyway and every way. Most of the United States' potatoes come from Idaho as most of us Utahns are aware, however Idaho and the United States plays but a small role in potato production. China oddly is the world's leading potato grower. I found this fascinating and then this picture of little Chinese people with giant potatoes filled my mind. While unrealistic it was fun to pretend for a few moments that this was real.

The average person eats 73 pounds of potatoes a year. This is about the weight of my little sister. I find it strange to believe that I eat my little sister's weight in potatoes every year, and it's quite possible I eat more than 73 pounds, as previously mentioned I love potatoes. Who could not love potatoes though? With dozens of things to do with them and ways to make them flavorful there is a potato for everyone in the world.

Gnocci's
--potato based dumplings. Delicious, most commonly known at the moment by being in soup served at the Olive Garden.
Funeral Potatoes--I would not be a proper Utahn without giving these potatoes proper credit. These delicious casserole style potatoes with about a million calories are among my top 3 favorite potatoes. Delicious is all there is to say about them.
Baked and Boiled--While among the simplest and dullest ways to cook potatoes, they are still delicious (as long as you add large quantities of salt as all potatoes need.)
Mashed--This Thanksgiving staple can be made many different ways but most of us find ourselves eating far too many when they are put in front of us.
The Fried Varieties--They are dozens of different styles of fried potatoes. They are all still french fries and delicious, add a little fry sauce and your in business.
Au Gratin and Casserole--Millions of calories and potatoes...what gets better than this?
Breakfast Potatoes--We've added this staple to lunch and dinner why not add it to breakfast?
Potato Soup, Potatoes in Soup or Potatoes in anything else--why not?

There are many more things to do with potatoes. At the restaurant we use potatoes in at least 4 dishes. This week alone we use over 150 pounds of potatoes, next week I'm sure we'll use more.

As someone wise once told me, "I love potatoes! Potatoes are like heaven! I could live off of potatoes!"

I could.

2 comments:

Valarie said...

Megan, you are a very talented writer. I love your blog... So proud of you!!

Nicole said...

I love that you think I am wise!